Saturday, August 07, 2004

Treasure Hunting

Books I bought this summer at library sales here and there. Sort of a warm-up for the annual Attic Sale dash in September where I get my year's fill of used books. The best spent fifteen minutes of my shopping year.
  • Fun With the Famous 5 by Enid Blyton
  • The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride
  • My Name Escapes Me: The Diary of a Retiring Actor by Alec Guinness
  • Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
  • The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Second Person Rural by Noel Perrin
I also found this charming used bookstore housed in a lovely, old Victorian. The rooms are intact, except they're filled with bookcases, so there is an odd arrangement where a room flows into another into another, as well as smaller alcoves. The store, which inhabits the whole first floor, is divided in two by the front entrance/staircase. After you are done exploring one side, you cross the front hall to get to the other half. It would be an awesome place to restore and live in, creaky floors and all. Having it filled with books is just icing.

No comments: